blue blog

Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Few Q&A's For You

Wow, I have had a lot of interest in juicing since my post several days ago - Thank You!  Here are some frequent Q&A's that have popped up several times.  So here goes...

Q:  What juicer do you use?
A:  We purchased a Breville juicer from Bed, Bath and Beyond.  If you use one of their coupons you can get $40 off the price.  You can find the juicer we purchased HERE.

Q:  Can you juice more during a day if you get hungry?
A.  Yes, you can.  We juiced up to six times a day when we first began.  For weight loss purposes, make sure you have more veggies in your juice than fruit.  This will help curb your appetite and speed up your weight loss.

Q:  How long did you juice exclusively?
A:  Our first goal was two weeks - I felt that was a decent goal for us.  Once we hit the two week mark, we decided to juice twice a day and have a plant based meal.  We usually juice for breakfast and lunch and have a dinner at home.  Some people I know have juiced exclusively much longer than we did.  Some juiced 21 days, some 30, and some 60 days.  It is up to you!  

Q:  Did you get hungry when you first began to juice?
A:  YES, especially the first three days!  Rennie and I had to retrain our brains and stomachs to determine if we were hungry or we just wanted to chew something.  Nine times out of ten, we just wanted to chew.  So, we would have a veggie snack (my snack was radishes and Rennie usually had a carrot).  If we were truly hungry, we'd juice again.

Q:  What is the recipe for hot lemon water?
A:  In a coffee mug, we juice 1/2 of a lemon and add hot water - that simple.  Rennie adds some honey to his but I found that if I did that, the honey was stimulating me to be hungry and I wanted sugar.  I had to avoid that right away!  We also LOVE this lemon juicer - you can see the type we use HERE.  We found ours at Whole Foods in the produce department.

Q:  How much produce do I purchase at first?
A:  That is hard to determine.  I think we still are figuring that out.  We cleaned our fridge out off all unnecessary food items (things we no longer needed and would hinder our success).  We packed it full of what we thought would be enough for the week...and soon realized you will run out of produce MUCH quicker than you ever thought you would.  We usually shop every other day for something, usually kale.

Q:  Can I juice some and not do a complete fast?
A:  Of course you can!  You need to decide why you are juicing in the first place.  Is it that you are sick and tired of being sick and tired?  Do you need to lose weight?  Do you just want to feel better?  Any step in the right direction is better than staying the same and not doing anything.  

Q:  What do you eat when you make a meal?
A:  I am dedicated to stay plant strong and vegan.  I feel so much better without meat, dairy, sugar and gluten in my system.  I no longer have aches and pains in my joints and my intestines.  I no longer have sinus issues now that I'm off dairy.  We eat a lot of salad - and make sure we have a wide variety of veggies, nuts, seeds, quinoa or beans in the salad.  Don't be afraid of changing things up.  Look on the Internet or Pinterest for WONDERFUL vegan dishes.  And no, they do not taste like tree bark! Ha!  We also visit vegan restaurants, for instance, Ethos, here in Winter Park - their black bean burger is so yummy!  I wish I had that recipe!!

Q:  How long to you plan to juice?
A:  Forever, as far as I'm concerned.  I feel SO much better and now can't imagine not juicing.  I still have around 60 more pounds to lose...it will be a while before I do not juice at least twice a day.

Q:  When will I experience more energy?
A:  Depends on how much you juice.  I felt wonderful after the third day of juicing.  I had an abundance of energy and felt better than I had in years!

I think that is all the questions I have received lately.  If you have some, please feel free to post them.  I am not an expert on this, but I surely will give it my best shot to answer you or at least point you in the right direction!

Until next time...
~Pamela




No comments:

Post a Comment